Dr. Hani Sarie El Din
Dr. Sarie-Eldin has more than 27 years of local and international experience in Business Law, including Commercial Law, Capital Markets, Privatization, Corporate Finance, Project Finance, Corporate Restructures and Acquisitions. He advises on major transactions taking place in Egypt, and in the Middle East and North Africa region related to the above mentioned areas. Moreover, he was involved in drafting various vital Egyptian Laws and Regulations such as the Egyptian Banking Law, Concession Draft Law, Antitrust Law, Consumer Protection Law, Takeover Regulation, Mutual Fund & Private Equity Regulation, Price Manipulation & Insider Trading Regulation, and Corporate Governance rules for listed companies on the stock exchange, in addition to advising various governments in the region on legal reforms including the United Arab Emirates, Libya, and Sudan.
In his capacity as Chairman of the Egyptian Market Authority, Dr. Sarie-Eldin led the regulatory capital market reform process in Egypt. Dr. Sarie-Eldin also served as a member of the Board of Directors of the Central Bank of Egypt, and was a member of its monetary policy, and investment committees, and the Trustee Council of the General Authority of Investment and Free Zones. Dr. Sarie-Eldin was also appointed to the Board of Directors of the Bank of Alexandria from 2002-2005. This Board undertook the responsibility of restructuring and developing the bank, which eventually led to its privatization as the first privatized public bank in Egypt. Dr. Sarie-Eldin is currently a member of the Board of Directors of various Egyptian corporations and Banks. His wide practical experience is also supplemented by immense academic research. Dr Sarie-Eldin has attained an Excellency Academic Award for his research in legal sciences from Cairo University in 2002.
- 2007: Founder & Managing Partner, Sarie-Eldin & Partners
- 2005-2007: Chairman, Egyptian Capital Market Authority
- 2003-2005: Group Director & General Counsel, Al-Futtaim Group, United Arab Emirates
- 2000-2003: Senior Partner, and Head of Capital Market Group, Shalakany Law Office
- 1996-2000: Partner, Finance & Capital Market, Shalakany Law Office
- 1991-1996: Senior Associate, Shalakany Law Office
- 1987-1991: Associate, Shalakany Law Office
- 2009: Board Member of GAFI – the General Authority for Investment
- 2009: Member of the Advisory Board - Arab Regional Forum
- 2009: Vice President Legal Affairs – American Chamber of Commerce
- 2009: Board Member of the Egyptian British Business Council, Cairo University
- 2009: Head of Commercial and Maritime Law Department
- 2007: Non-Executive Chairman, Middle East Institute for Law and Development, Non-Profit Organization (an affiliate of the International Law Institute - Washington D.C)
- 2002: Visiting Professor of Development Law & Capital Markets, Queen Mary and Westfield College, University of London
- 2002: Professor of Commercial & Maritime Law, Cairo University
- 1994: Ph.D in International Business Law, Center for Commercial Law Studies, Queen Mary and Westfield College, University of London
- 1988: 1988 Diploma of Public Law, Cairo University (Distinction) Class Ranking: 1st
- 1989: Diploma of Private Law, Cairo University ( Distinction) Class Ranking: 1st
- 1987: Licence en Droit, Cairo University (Distinction)
- Books in English
- Consortia Agreements in the International Construction Industry: With Special Reference to Egypt, 1996, Kluwer Law International.
- Commercial Companies in Egypt, 2000, Cairo University.
- Books in Arabic
- Egyptian Companies Law, (4 editions: 1998; 2000; 2003; 2008), Dar El Nahda.
- Negotiation of Contracts and Preliminary Agreements, 1999, Dar Al Nahda Al -Arabia.
- Infrastructure Projects Privately Financed, 2001, Dar Al Nahda Al-Arabia.
- Transfer of Technology, 2003, Dar Al Nahda Al-Arabia.
- Mandatory Tender Offers, Capital Market Law [in print].
- Articles in English
- Financial Disputes in the Arab Middle East with Special Reference to Egypt, published in "Non-Judicial Dispute Settlement in International Financial Transactions", 2000, Norton and Andens.
- International Construction Contracts in the Middle East: An Analysis of the Application of FIDIC Conditions ( the Red Book, 4th edition) , published in "Commercial Law in the Middle East" (ed), 1995, Graham & Trotman.
- Sarie-Eldin, Hani, and Joseph Norton, Securities Law Models in Emerging Economies, published in "Emerging Financial Markets and the Role of International Financial Organizations", 1996, Norton and Andens.
- Articles in Arabic
- Arbitration in Joint Ventures Disputes, 1998, Al Ahkam, pp.81-121.
- BOT Projects, 1999, Arab Universities Union, vol 9,pp.321-397.
- Private-Public-Partnerships, Al Ahram Al –Ektisady, vol.177, Sep 2002, pp. 3-175.